Pages

Thursday, November 18, 2010

How Do You Know If You Are A 'Real Man'? Part 1

Nothing Like a bloody battle scene to get our blood boiling
Sadly, most men today do not know if they are a man or not.

Oh sure, you have men in their twenties and thirties who act like children. They barely can hold a job and continue to live off their parents. Even married, they still cleave to the ideal of entitlement. Their lives are full of self absorbsion and what 'what about me' mentality.

We have a generation of taking the easy road. Boys who try to prove their manhood in all the wrong ways. They are 'manly' because they are willing to fight. They are manly because the world tells them they have to be rough, tattooed, and willing to swing at anyone who get's in their way.

As a martial arts instructor, I have seem them all. It didn't matter about their background. Rich or poor, these boys fall victim to many of the same traps. They all believed they have something to prove, but when found wanting, they turned tail and ran.

Let me explain...

I used to teach Mixed Martial Arts. I stopped because while I think the sport has put the wrong light on what being a true martial artist should be. Instead of standing in the gap and protecting the weaker, it is quite honestly teaching boys that being a man, means they have to be a good fighter and tough. Fighting is always the last resort.

On one particular day, a rough looking young man decided that he wanted to learn MMA. After the normal introductions, we moved to the training floor with the class. I am very protective of new students. Rarely would I ever allow a new student to spar right out of the bat with any student. Sparring begins with me. I know I can take a hit. I know I can  control myself. I don't have anything to prove.

This particular student decided he needed to 'measure' me up. We put the gloves on and began to spar. I always remind them that this is a training session and that we are not here to hurt each other. However with each swing, I could see him getting angrier and trying to put more power behind it. I am smart enough to know that this guy was trying to take my head off. Realizing that this student needed to learn that in order to be a student, he had to first 'empty his cup' as it were. Thus, quickly and efficiently I choked him out. When he finally tapped, he got up and yelled some profanities and stomped off out of the gym.

Instead of accepting my 30 years of training and experience, he for whatever reason believed that had to win the fight. That I had to be the target to prove that he was a real man. Sadly, when shown where a man is lacking he has two responses... A learn from it, or B, turn and run.

We have an entire generation of boys who don't know what it is like to live up to the challenge and to face it head on. We have forgotten to instruct or boys on how to be a man. We have not passed on the ideal of 'hard work' pays off and other sage wisdom to our children. More importantly we haven't raised men up to be real men of God.

No, now we have the world of instant gratification. A give it to me know mentality. We have children who expect to have instead of earn. A generation where excuses prevail instead of personal ownership. We have a 'I quit' because of personal pride instead of endurance on behalf of those we support. We have a generation of 'whatever you believe' is OK. A generation where 'I believe in Jesus' is just as important as the advice they get from the fortune cookies at the all you can eat buffet.

Ok, I sound harsh. Maybe I am.

You see, at one time or another, I was just like that. I still struggle with a want it now mentality. Maybe that is why I have debt. Maybe that is why at times it is easier to let my wife lead the family instead of me because if something goes wrong, the finger couldn't be pointed at me.

Well... in truth by me not stepping up, I am at fault.

What is important is not what I think but what God thinks and says in his Word.

Being a 'Real Man' is Being A Man of God

But you, O man of God, flee these things and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, gentleness. Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, to which you were also called and have confessed the good confession in the presence of many witnesses." (1 Timothy 6:11-12)

The way God measures a man markedly differs from the way men measure themselves or other men.
1 Samuel 16:6-12. God doesn't look at outward appearances.



1Sa 16:6
When they arrived, Samuel took one look at Eliab and thought, "Surely this is the LORD's anointed!"

1Sa 16:7
But the LORD said to Samuel, "Don't judge by his appearance or height, for I have rejected him. The LORD doesn't make decisions the way you do! People judge by outward appearance, but the LORD looks at a person's thoughts and intentions."

1Sa 16:8
Then Jesse told his son Abinadab to step forward and walk in front of Samuel. But Samuel said, "This is not the one the LORD has chosen."

1Sa 16:9
Next Jesse summoned Shammah, but Samuel said, "Neither is this the one the LORD has chosen."

1Sa 16:10
In the same way all seven of Jesse's sons were presented to Samuel. But Samuel said to Jesse, "The LORD has not chosen any of these."

1Sa 16:11
Then Samuel asked, "Are these all the sons you have?" "There is still the youngest," Jesse replied. "But he's out in the fields watching the sheep." "Send for him at once," Samuel said. "We will not sit down to eat until he arrives."

1Sa 16:12
So Jesse sent for him. He was ruddy and handsome, with pleasant eyes. And the LORD said, "This is the one; anoint him."



A Man of God has Faith in God. There are countless examples of God acknowledging men who were men of faith.

Abraham believed God's promise (Rom. 4:1-5)


Rom 4:1Abraham was, humanly speaking, the founder of our Jewish nation. What were his experiences concerning this question of being saved by faith?

Rom 4:2Was it because of his good deeds that God accepted him? If so, he would have had something to boast about. But from God's point of view Abraham had no basis at all for pride.

Rom 4:3For the Scriptures tell us, "Abraham believed God, so God declared him to be righteous." [fn]

Rom 4:4When people work, their wages are not a gift. Workers earn what they receive.

Rom 4:5But people are declared righteous because of their faith, not because of their work.



The Centurion Praised for his Faith (Luke 7:1-10).


Luk 7:1When Jesus had finished saying all this, he went back to Capernaum.

Luk 7:2Now the highly valued slave of a Roman officer was sick and near death.

Luk 7:3When the officer heard about Jesus, he sent some respected Jewish leaders to ask him to come and heal his slave.

Luk 7:4So they earnestly begged Jesus to come with them and help the man. "If anyone deserves your help, it is he," they said,

Luk 7:5"for he loves the Jews and even built a synagogue for us."

Luk 7:6So Jesus went with them. But just before they arrived at the house, the officer sent some friends to say, "Lord, don't trouble yourself by coming to my home, for I am not worthy of such an honor.

Luk 7:7I am not even worthy to come and meet you. Just say the word from where you are, and my servant will be healed.

Luk 7:8I know because I am under the authority of my superior officers, and I have authority over my soldiers. I only need to say, `Go,' and they go, or `Come,' and they come. And if I say to my slaves, `Do this or that,' they do it."

Luk 7:9When Jesus heard this, he was amazed. Turning to the crowd, he said, "I tell you, I haven't seen faith like this in all the land of Israel!"

Luk 7:10And when the officer's friends returned to his house, they found the slave completely healed.

We as Christians must be rooted in our faith for by faith God can use us. It is my hope that to be a man of God is that first i am rooted in my Faith and belief that Jesus is my savior and that His sacrifice is the atonement for my sins.

By Faith, God can change us from weakness, depravity and shame. By Faith we can learn how God wants us to live. By Faith, God can help us instruct others on how to truly be a 'Real Man' of God.

0 comments:

Post a Comment