Pages

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Using the front sight :: Iron Sight Hunting tip

Derek with 'Thumper' using a Scope instead of iron sites

I have just started using scopes on my guns. For most of my life, guns were hand me downs or gifts where I didn't have the money to go and equip them with all the new gadgetry to make them premier hunting weapons. My first gun (other than my daisy bb gun) was a twenty gauge shotgun my dad bought me when I was eight years old. I have harvested a number of squirrel, deer, and rabbits with this wonderful weapon and I keep it to this day as a wonderful reminder of days gone past. Something I will pass on to my children I hope.


All of which didn't require a scope. I learned to hunt using the weapon as it was intended. Don't get me wrong, I love my new guns all outfitted with scopes, but sometimes I feel you lose time in trying to get the right sight picture when you are targeting your animal. With the added advantage of seeing the animal more up close along with better shot placement, you also get complex adjustments, misalignments, etc.

Proper sight picture with iron sights can be difficult as well. Proper sight picture is found by aligning the front sight with the rear sight as you track the target. Perfect alignment enables a good clean shot. However improper alignment, could lead to a shot that is slightly off. This is usually because of improper angle of the weapon to target. For example:

Shot placement with improper alignment

Now looking at this picture, you can see how minor changes in sight picture using iron sites can gravely affect target acquisition and poor shot placement. The key to this of course is target focus alignment with the front sight. While it is impossible for the human eye to distinctly focus on the target and the sights due to the distance related to the two, you can accurately target, track, align and send the projectile to proper placement with iron sights is done by the following:

1. Target acquisition
2. Track Target
3. Align front site to target for proper placement
4. Focus eyes on front sight
5. Send the round

Your eyes should focus on the target to enable proper round placement, then focus back to the weapon sites with front sight prominence to target. Once that is established, ensure proper alignment between front and back sights as your focus and then send the round.

The proper sight picture at this point would look something like this:

0 comments:

Post a Comment