Pages

Monday, November 8, 2010

Novice Bow Hunter : Luck of the Draw

I really lucked out...


I decided to part ways with my 32 foot Coachmen Camper that needed just a little too much work and a little too much money for me to really make any use of it. It was going to by my deer camp dream but turned more into a money pit. Be careful what you ask God for, you might just get it. I really wanted a camper for 'nothing.' Which is actually how I got it. I was able to trade my way up to a camper of some size in the matter of a few months. It reminded me of the story of guy who traded his way up to a house starting out with one red paper clip. Follow the link, it is a pretty cool read to see how it all happened.

The camper was for the most part functional. However, it needed new tires, updating the gas canisters, and a few minor changes here and there to make it useful for the family. That is all well and good, but those changes were going to cost me yet another $1000.00. Which is something I couldn't just cough up. So it sat, and I fumed. I wasn't able to get my deer camp ready this year.

So, in an act of trying to get rid of my frustration, I decided to sell it or trade it. Craigslist is just plain awesome. I use it all the time to monitor what is for sale and what is the 'real' price for things to buy. I have bought so many things on Craigslist and have got rid of many unwanted items in my garage. In this down economy, everyone needs a good deal!

Well, that deal came my way. Since i was willing to trade on the camper (bartering is in my blood), I was approached by a gentlemen who had a compound bow for sale. Now, I have loved archery since I was a kid. I had my own traditional bow and arrow set that I used to practice with field arrows for a long time. Then I moved up to using my brothers lil indian compound bow. I never had a chance to hunt with a compound bow simply because there wasn't one available. So I just stuck with firearms.

outback-248x575.png

Long story short, I traded my 32 foot Coachmen Capistrano Camper for a 2007 Mathews Outback bow. This bow has so many add ons it is hard to list. Before I traded, I spent some time reading reviews of the bow and some forums. I also checked to see the value. I am happy to say that the value is a pretty even match to what I had in the camper. With back lit fiber optic, a trap door knock and tons of other features, I am very very happy with it.

I was going to sell it for a nice handgun, but have decided to keep it and hunt all season. It will be a learning experience for me, but something I feel will help me expand the different ways I hunt each year.


0 comments:

Post a Comment