Pages

Monday, November 29, 2010

Trapping, easy way for bonding with children

My First Raccoon


I don't know why I got all excited about trapping. It really happened after my dad passed away. I was looking for ways to remember him and I believe that the fondest memories I have come from spending time with my Dad outdoors. It was a time we were equals and we spent the time together for the same purpose. When I was successful in harvesting a deer or other animal, my dad's eyes just sparkled.

When he passed, I lost that time with him. With the deer season passed and me still missing my dad, I was looking for more ways to be outdoors and then I fell in love with trapping.

JJ Helps Me Set The Traps


I am in no way an expert. I am however well read on the subject and spent enormous amounts of time reading and researching the best ways to trap and how I can get myself ramped up. I even asked for traps purchased for me on my birthday and Christmas just so I didn't have a huge cash outlay to get my self ramped up.

Currently I am mostly focused on raccoon and Beaver. For raccoon, I use dog proof traps which prevent stray animals such as dogs to get caught in a set.  They are very easy to set and a fun way to get your children involved in trapping. We use a marshmallow at the bottom of the dog proof trap to entice the raccoon to put his paw in. From there, it will snap down on his paw in a safe way preventing them from hurting themselves.

Here is a good example from pcoutdoors.com



They have great deals on all kinds of trapping and hunting supplies. I have personally bought several traps and lures from them and trust me they are great to deal with. They ship quickly and keep in touch with you that you order has shipped.

If you are interested in learning all there is about trapping and a whole lot more, I recommend you head on over to trapperman.com. They have the best forums on the net hands down. The guys and yes gals there are the absolute best at helping you get going.












Happy Trapping!

~ Jeff Barnes

0 comments:

Post a Comment