Pages

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Snaring Coons




This is a great video to help you get started snaring. Snaring is an art form in and of itself. Last year I set out a few snares on a line with little to no success. I believe it was because I made the snares myself and they simply didn't lock well. So I had several misses.

Neck snaring coons is difficult. Most successful snaremen go after a body snare on coons simply because of the varying body size of coons in their trapping area. I know for me and most of where I hunt and trap, coons have a wide variety of sizes.

But why snares?

1. Cheap... You can buy a dozen snares for $15 to $16 bucks plus shipping.

2. Longer trap lines.... going along with cheap, you can run a much larger number of snares for a higher probability of yield

3. Safe.... Much easier to teach a kid to snare than how to set a double long spring trap

4. Fast.... To set up a snare should take less time than a dirt hole set.

5. Fast Reset.... When running your line, if you have a catch or a miss, it is quick and easy for you to reset the snare and keep going

So... if you are looking for a cheap and easy way to get into trapping, I suggest start out with snaring. There are tons of information available on how to set snares. Of course go to Trapper Man, but also I found this new website from a guy who does animal damage control that has lots of information on coon snaring that you might like as well. Check out Trapping Supplies Review. It is a good article

0 comments:

Post a Comment